Friday 13 March 2009

MAYAZ'S KEBABS

I simply just love kebabs any kind but my favourite are the ones made from raw mince meat rather the cooked ones. When we were younger Mumma usually made shami kebabs which is made by cooking the meat before hand with daal. Its is Also quite easy to make but these ones were even better much more juicy and succulent. what I liked about this recipe was the inside being juicy and out side having a crisp layer of bread crumbs. For kebabs I have tried a lot of recipes but this one is my personal favourite as it take just about 10- 15 Min's to prepare and make. I usually make this when kids come back from school and want to have something eat I serve these with either humus or with carrot yogurt and pitta. The kids love it and its a healthy blend of textures and tastes in one meal. You can if you like add a bit of red crushed chili. As I make these for my kids I usually keep that to minimal use or none at all.


Kids love snacks and better they love to make it and see it in different shapes. When in a rush I tend to just do it myself but when I have time and they are off school I tend to get them to work and learn something new. They love to mix and experiment with spices, this way they are learning about the spices as well and increasing their kitchen vocabulary. Its also helping them to think more independently as I place spices and ingredients in front of them to mix up with their own choices. makes them feel more like a grown up and the best bit they eat it all up because they've worked hard to make it. I hope this will help you help your kids learn more about your kitchen and cooking...enjoy it while it lasts they say and am trying to do so hope you can too...:)


INGREDIENTS:-
  • 1/4 kg Mince meat (lamb)
  • 1/4 Bunch flat leaf parsley chopped
  • Some coriander leaves
  • 2 Green chillies chopped (optional)
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 Tbsp Butter (optional)
  • Oil for frying
  • 1/2 tsp Black pepper
  • 1/2 Red bell pepper chopped really in small pieces as small as you can.
  • 2 Eggs for coating
  • 1 Eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups Golden bread crumbs

METHOD:-

  1. Wash your hands.
  2. Put mince meat in a bowl and add butter and mix well,this helps to keep the meat juicy.But if you're counting calories you can leave this step.
  3. Now add red bell peppers,coriander leaves,flat parsley,salt,black pepper, 1 egg and green chillies if you like it hot.
  4. Mix well.
  5. Beat the 2 eggs add salt & pepper to taste and leave aside.
  6. Place golden bread crumbs in a flat plate.

  7. Now make the shapes you want oval, round or seekh kebab's
    shape what ever you like.
  8. Roll the kebabs in beaten eggs and then roll in the bread crumbs.
  9. Heat the oil to medium heat place a carrot stick to prevent the oil from burning.

  10. Shallow fry the kebabs 2-3 Min's on each side.

I don't usually add chillies to my kebabs just for the reason that my children eat these kebabs. But have tried having them with chillies and they taste even better. If you like being creative and want to make some other shapes like teddy bears or fishes simply place the cling film on the counter and rub some drops of oil on it ,then place your mince meat on it in a ball shape, now place another sheet of cling film and with the help of a rolling pin roll it to the 1/2 inch thickness. Now remove the top layer of cling film and by the help of cookie cutters cut out the desired shapes. I hope you will love seeing your kids make these kebabs for you....:)

3 comments:

  1. Love the recipes ... i am not a cooking fan, but had to cook because my wife was away, and now all my friends and family are a fan of my food :) !

    Thanks Maya, uve helped me in a very special way... keep the recipes coming !

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there thanks for liking my recipes i'm glad you my recipes helped you out...thanks for writing and do write in on other recipes you've tried...
    thanks again
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kebabs were delicious...thanks for posting this recipe!

    Amina

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave comments +ve or -ve, they help me in improving.