Tuesday 20 October 2009

MAYAZ'S DO NUTS

I Call them do nuts simply because they're smell drives me nuts and takes me back in my childhood. Fist time ever I had a dough nut was in Florida fort Walton beach. we were on our summer vacations in 1983. Our uncle brought dough nuts every single day on his way back from work. The taste and smell has ever since stuck with me. I remember having them everyday sitting on a garden chair in his back yard and enjoy almost all the box. Yet it always seemed I'd not had enough of them. so as I grew older kept looking for the right recipe of it so instead of spending too much money I could just make plenty of them at home and have my own toppings. Have tried a lot of recipes and than came across this recipe which was easy to make and gave really good results my kids loved helping in making them as always and enjoyed them afterwards too. My advice while making these would be don't panic if they are a bit big in size or small in size just follow your instincts about the size and shapes. Its the taste of your food that would make it desirable to eat rather then size and shape of it. Its of course an added bonus to know how to present it. Hope you will have good family times making these...!
INGREDIENTS:-
  • 250 ml/8.8 fluid oz Yogurt
  • 170g/6 oz Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 45g Butter melted
  • 500g Plain flour
  • 2 Tbsp Baking powder
  • 60g more flour for dusting
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 litre oil for frying
  • icing sugar for dusting if not using any other topping.

METHOD:-

  1. Add eggs and sugar to a bowl and whisk them at high speed if using electric beater or whisk briskly till it changes its color and looks pale and fluffy.
  2. Then add yogurt,vanilla extract,salt,and melted butter and mix lightly.
  3. In a Bowl add all the dry ingredients and sieve before adding to the egg and sugar mixture.
  4. combine well just enough to bring the dough together not too much or the dough nuts will turn out too hard.
  5. Dust some flour on the work top and on your hands.
  6. Now roll the 1/4 of your dough to 1/2cm thickness roughly.
  7. Use any round pastry cutter or a cap or bottle anything that's easily accessible and can be used to cut the shape out of your choice.
  8. Cut all the doughnuts till there in no more dough is left.
  9. In a deep pan or a wok add the oil and bring warm it up and then add a piece of carrot which will help prevent from the oil to burn.-
  10. Fry your do nuts a minute on each side or until golden brown than place them on a paper towel.
  11. Once all done dust with icing sugar or dip in the topping of your choice.

I am creative so I like to make my own toppings and that too chocolate or white chocolate toppings with dessicated coconut or nuts. But I must say its what you like and everything that we do in life is a shadow of you and your personality even food. the food that we eat or share compliments you and tells others what you are like as a person. For example if some one Puts an omelet in front of their guests as a meal may not mean they don't care may mean they are casual fun loving and easy going. Its all in the way you look at it and i hope today you will have a new perspective of things in life....enjoy!

PS NOTE:-

Next up is Mumma's fish Curry..stay tuned..:)

6 comments:

  1. hmmmm yammi will try tonight....nice one gorgeous. keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. po luv your donuts.they were yummy.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you muzna i'm so so glad they turned out well ....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture is just great and I myself love them :) You made me hungry. Will definitely try this recip. Great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When's the fish curry recipe coming up?

    -Zain

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi
    thanks sidz...
    zain i've almost finished writing theblog i'm working on the pics so give me another 3-4 day hopefully it'll be up ...thanks for always writing in ...it helps and motivates me in a very positive way...thanks all

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave comments +ve or -ve, they help me in improving.