A friend of steff once brought a lemon cake that was so light, fluffy and the best cake i've ever had in my life. I remember I had invited her over for a farewell dinner at our place and she'd brought this cake my husband and I fought over the last slice infront of them.since then i've been on a look out for recipes that are lemon cakes but are'nt even close to that cake of steff 's cake but this one I like till I have her secret recipe.This recipe I find too easy to follow all in one type cake. If and when i've made this cake no matter what size cake it is it just finishes with the same day. It always too little in size for the likes of my house hope its the same for you when you try it. Enjoy in good health..:)
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 175g Sugar
- 175g Butter
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- Finely Grated Rind Of 1 Lemon
- Grated Rind Of 2 Oranges
- Juice Of 2 Lemons/1 Orange
- 115g Caster Sugar
- Pre-heat oven at 180 deg C, gas mark 4.
- Grease your tin prefereably a 9" one.
- Seive the flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients in it and mix well but don't over do it.
- Bake for 45 to 50 mins or until cooked well.
- Till the cake is baked in a small pan add sugar and lemon/orange juice and warm it till the sugar melts, but make sure it does not boil.
- Once the cake is bake and out turn it over and drizzle the syrup straight away.
Over mixing a cake batter lets all the air out of it and your cake may not rise enough and similarly cooking too long makes your cakes texture to be more crumbs like then it feels like you're have a thick cookie so don't be tempted to leave the cake in for over cooking it. I don't like too much sour taste so I use orange juice for the syrup but you can use either of the citrus fruit they are both equally good.